Mac N' Cheeze, made with Butternut Squash
Sometimes you just crave the smooth creaminess of this comfort food. Well, you can still have it. This version is made with one of my favorite things, Butternut Squash. No, it does not taste just like cheese, but it is delicious!! Give it a try, I think you will be very pleased. No cashews or other types of nuts were used in this recipe, it is much lighter than some other versions I have tried.
- 2 cups whole wheat pasta macaroni, or whichever type you like cooked according to package directions el dante
- 1 Squash your favorite type, I love the butternut squash, cut in half, deseeded, then baked to tender (about 45 min in oven) and removed from peel
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 to 1 cup unsweetened almond, rice or soy milk, (I used almond)
- 1 cup carmelized onions (I chopped one whole onion and carmelized it in pan with veg broth and added the garlic)
- 2 heaping T nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T of your favorite mustard
- 1/4 cup veg broth for sauteeing the onions in and maybe a splash more if needed to thin your sauce.
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Place all ingredients except for the pasta in blender and blend until smooth
- Pour cheeze sauce over cooked hot pasta, and mix together.
If you like you can eat it as soon as you mix it together, or you can make it a bit thinner by adding some more liquid, and bake it with some panko on top until good and crunchy. 350 degree oven for about 20 min. I like it both ways!